Thursday, December 20, 2012

Bowling Alleys 'n BFFs.

I woke up with the sound of pouring rain outside which is a completely disappointing way to wake up in Michigan in December.  I would prefer it to be 10 degrees colder and all of this nonsense rain be snow.
I have also have one of those awesome tickles in my lungs.  You know when you first get sick and you have that dry yet scratchy feeling?  I have been coughing all day but nothing is coming up. Completely unproductive. My favorite. Sigh.  I bet you that I will be perfectly sick for Christmas.  Why wouldn't I be?

Around 3pm I had a knock on the door. It was the mail lady.  I was a bit confused because I haven't ordered anything due to being in the poorhouse.  It was nice sized package and it said
"To: MaryAnne & Alanna, From: Up North"
I knew just by the handwriting who it was from.

Here is the backstory:  Once upon a time in say 2001? My friend Shawn was dating this girl who everyone called "Keggy."  I never met her the entire time they dated, but I kept hearing that she was this tiny little girl who did 'keg stands' like a champ. I liked her already.
We all went bowling one night and Kristine (AKA: Keggy) showed up with a box of Shawn's things. They had broken up and she was returning his crap. I was introduced myself, commented on her super cute shoes (which were Nike Shocks with neon pink soles), and apparently we were friends for life.
After nearly 12 years, her and I still have not seen each other since that one night at the bowling alley.  We've sent cards back and forth. We take pictures of street signs when we are in each other's cities. We even take pictures of our odometers when they read cool combinations of numbers.  This is our friendship which is better than a lot of friendships I have with people I actually do see.  She is one of my favorite people on the planet - today has completely confirmed it.

She read my blog, had no idea I had lost my job, and sent me Christmas care package.  I cried. Wait, I am still crying.  I can't help it... I am a sap.  She is a wonderful, amazing person and I am so lucky to have a friend like her.  My gift was a Scentsy care package.  I suggest if you have never heard of Scentsy or don't own one, to get a freaking order in.     Kristine's Scentsy Page
It is the most amazing thing EVER.  I am a customer of hers til the end of time. Which is tonight at midnight according to the Mayans. ;)

If she is reading this, which I hope she is, I hope she knows how much her friendship means to me. Even if it is virtual.  Pictures, cards, emails, text... I love her.
One day we are going to meet up and go bowling with the kids. Back to where it all began, make no mistake about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment