Monday, May 26, 2014

Imaginary Love

I may not be the best kind of friend, or girlfriend, or fiance, or wife.  I may not be the "Mother of the Year" or the "Employee of the Month" but what I lack in those areas, I make up for in knowing exactly who I am.

I don't need a series of relationships to define me.  I don't need to prove to the world how in love I am or how my bff is better than yours.  I don't need to post endeless pictures of my perfect life to try and prove to people that I am happy.  I don't need to post status updates every five minutes that no one cares about.
-----


The mirror would show you the mess you are, if you would walk by slowly enough to see your reflection. 
The mirror would tell you stories of your disasterous life, if you would just look at it directly instead of seeing only what you want to see.

The mirror would show you that you are not perfect and that is okay.
The mirror would tell you that your scars are what defines you.

I'd be afraid of the mirror if it told me the truth too.  
The truth I didn't want to hear.
The truth I didn't want to see.
The truth that you are made up of pretend things.
The truth that you have no substance.
The truth that you are a bad friend.
The truth that you are selfish.
The truth that you have created the world you live in on imaginary love.

The mirror would show you, if you just stopped to look, that you are a mess, just like everyone else. 
The mirror would remind you that it is okay to be a mess. What are you trying to prove anyway?
How much better you are than everyone else?
How much more you have to offer than everyone else?
You are no better than anyone else.
The 'you' in the mirror would remind you of that, but you are too afraid to look.
I would be afraid of the ugliness too.

No comments:

Post a Comment